Day 3. :D
I think it's the tightest / rushy day we had for the entire trip. It's my fault to underestimate the breadth of the Hong Kong Museum of History.
We set out pretty late and unprepared that day. We arrived at the museum at around 1pm that day. Owing to the fact that we had lots of fruits and nuts after breakfast, we didn't feel quite so hungry for lunch yet at the time. I thought it would only take us 2 hours max to stroll through the whole exhibition, we figured we'd have a 3 o'clock tea instead of lunch.
I am surprised that being such a history enthusiast that I am, I haven't been to this museum ever!!
I took like more than 300 pictures inside the exhibit! I would have taken more if we had more energy and time to look through the whole show thoroughly.
In the end, we spent like more than 4 hours inside and we didn't even finish looking at everything.
The exhibit was divided into 8 parts; spanning from stone age to 1997 and life and culture of Hong Kong. My favorite section was the #4 Hong Kong's culture. It showcased different ethic groups of Hong Kong and their way of living.
Believe it or not, before becoming an international financial hub, Hong Kong was a fishing village. Fishermen live their live on boats and barely set food on land. Here's a representation of a fisherman lady mending blankets for her family on her home. You can see she's on the boat if you look closely at the far end window. :)
Then we had come to this wedding ritual section. :D It's my favorite's favorite. :D These Chinese wedding gowns are so pretty. It is carefully embroidered with gold and silver threads. It's less crazy than the traditional red one. :D
This wedding ritual section is rumored to be haunted too. :D According to this urban legend, the mannequins below would actually move when you least expect them to. :D Possessed or not, these mannequins are quite eerie looking!
The exhibit is really amazing, it even produced a replica of the Cheung Chau Bun Festival for visitor who can't attend the event themselves.
By now, we had only seen through the first floor of the exhibits!!! In the end, we had to rush through the 2nd floor just so we can get out and have some food before we faint. :D
I have to mention one thing important on the 2nd floor....
My high school, St. Clare's Girls' School was listed in the "Exiting Secondary Schools for Chinese Students Established Before the War"!.
There are more pictures to see in my shutterfly pictures page if you are interested. :)
At around 5:30pm, we decided we really must go eat and departed the museum reluctantly. I would tell you more about our dinner that day, but that was so awesome, it deserve a separate post! :D






No comments:
Post a Comment