Tuesday, September 8, 2009

老灣仔遊趣 Exploring Old Wanchai

Ahhhh... Finally taking a break from Mafia Wars! on Facebook! I stand by my initial comment about facebook: It is ultimate evil! :D

I have day off today, so I figured I really should update my blog some. :D After all, lately I have been out and about when I am having day offs instead of staying put at home. :)

Last Thursday, 3rd Sept, I went to Wanchai to buy that awesome bottle of chilly sauce and met my parents for dinner.

Before we met, I wandered around the old Wanchai Market area.



I didn't have a chance to visit this historic building before its renovation. To say it's a renovation is not exactly correct. It's being 'restructured' so it can fit a high-rise on top of it.

It used to look like this (click for picture). But now it's all blocked up for construction.

I walked a little bit further and found another historic building called the Blue house. You can see why it's called that name in the picture below.


I think the government wanted to tear down this building too, but after much protesting, it is now one of the protected sites in HK. :)

The blue building also house the "灣仔民間生活館" (A privately owned museum about things in wanchai / HK).

I have entered the museum and chatted with the caretaker there for a few minutes. The museum is currently housing a collection of Chinese wedding related memorabilia. The exhibit changes every 4 months or so. :)

If you are interested in the pictures of the exhibits, please click here. :)

It's unbelievable that I haven't explored my native land Hong Kong too much. :D I have lived here for > 20+ years (not that I am only 20 years old... :D I just subtracted the years I was living in Canada to come up with this 20+ number! :D)

It was a fun, eye opening and relaxing stroll. :)

If you are interested in more old wanchai, here's a forum post that has lost of old... I mean antique pictures of wanchai. It's most interesting.

2 comments:

chris said...

我曾在緊貼「藍屋」後面的「呂祺教育中心」上班5年(1989-1994)!

Tickle LaBean said...

那 「呂祺教育中心」 依然在啊!