Sunday, May 18, 2008

3 days of mourning for the China-quake victims

The China gov't has dedicated 19 - 21 / May as mourning days for the 四川 earthquake victims. It just happened my birthday is on the 20th. So I declare my birthday celebration canceled this year. The money set aside for a little dine out celebration is donated to the victims' fund. After all, birthday happens every year, it's not as important as the people who lost their families and homes in this quake.

I am just watching a live show from the CCTV4 (China's news channel) which is a show to ask people for donation for the victims. I couldn't help but feel touched about how the Chinese people unite in this situation.

There was a saying in Chinese: "各家自掃門前雪, 那管他人瓦上霜" (Each family would only sweep its own snow, who cares about frost on your neighbor's roof), it tells how selfish the Chinese could be. It's nice to see now different people would contribute to help their neighbors.

No comments: