Sunday, May 27, 2012

自家制: 九菜煎餃! Home made pan seared dumplings :D

I miss cooking on vacation. :D Everybody knows I take pride in showing off my cooking ability. :D

With work being stressful nowadays, I have lost my enjoyment in cooking lately. Last week, during my mini-vacation, I finally have the mood to do some homemade cooking myself. :D  What is more comforting than making one of my favorite comfort foods - dumplings/wantons? :D

I must say I am already an expert in wrapping Shanghai wantons soup, so this time, I figured I should make some "sticking to the pan dumplings (鍋貼)" instead.


Wraps are store bought from this specialty shop 老字號-灣仔鏡記. (My mom buys noodles there since she was just a small girl, which is over 60 years of history) The stuffing is my all time favorite, Chives and minced pork。


See the difference between the pan fried dumplings and the wonton in soup style? :) (Bottom Left is the pan fried version, the right is my usual soup style wonton)


What you do is you lay the dumplings on the pan with a bit of olive oil, add about 1/4 bowl of water, then cover the lid and let it cook for about 5 minutes.  Then add a bit water (maybe 1/6 bowl this time) and recook it for another 2-3 minutes until the water evaporated.


This is how you can tell the dumplings are cooked. You see how the wrapping turns a bit more transparent instead of the original white form? :)  Usually people only let the bottom part cooked to crisp, but I like a bit more crisp wrapping, so I flip it sideways and cook a few more minutes too. This way, I am quite sure even the inside was cooked. :)

This is the first time I ever made pan fried dumplings and I am quite satisfiied with the result.  I will have to perfect the style of the "closing of the wrap" though to make it prettier in the future. :D


No comments: